Thursday, October 25, 2012

Kitchen Cupboard Pasta

In keeping with my theme I have been on a quest to use up all the crap in my cupboards. Today, I needed a simple, easy, fast meal that would have leftovers, use up a ton of crap, and still taste good. And it would have to adhere to the Alan Food Rules I had discussed in my first blog post.

Hence, Kitchen Cupboard Pasta.

You would not BELIEVE how much stuff I was able to use. Today's pasta included:

- sundried tomatoes (scissors work well to help chop)
- a can of black olives
- a whackload of garlic



- some balsamic vinegar
- frozen basil (salvaged from my shitty garden)
- frozen anchovies
- the remainder of a jar of capers
- the remainders of 3 bags of spelt pasta
- some dijon mustard
- spices
- the lone tomato I managed to salvage from my shitty garden (I have a black thumb - I am a mass murderer of innocent foliage)
- EVOO
- a woeful and lonely bit of pecorino cheese

Everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) was stuff I had IN HOUSE. My cupboards are starting to SPARKLE from cleanliness and emptiness. Its glorious!!!

I have decided that my food shopping is a bit of a sickness. An obsession if you will. Some people can't stop buying shoes (like me), or purses (like me), or sheets (again, like me), clothing (meh) or the latest electronic gadget (like Alan). Things like that.

Since I only shop for shoes and purses with my sister and I can't wear high heels anymore since I shattered my ankle (waaaaaaaaaaaah!), I really have upped my interesting food purchasing.

Do you realize how HARD it was for me to go to Costco and Longo's this week??!? It was TORTURE. I hardly bought a THING!

But I digress. Kitchen Cupboard Pasta.
Super easy. Took me about 5 minutes to prep it all.

Put a large pot of water on to boil, and add a huge wodge of salt. Crack a tiny bit of pepper on top, so you remember you have already added the salt.



When it is boiling, throw in your pasta. While the pasta cooks, make the sauce in a cuisinart. Toss all your ingredients in, and whizz away. Voila. Pesto.



Put it in a big bowl, and add a bit of the boiling cooking water to it, like half a ladelful. This just helps smooth out the sauce and allows it to toss better with all the pasta.

I even had a enough left over to make a second dinner, so I scooped it in a ziplock bag and tossed it in the freezer. Dinner for a second night! Woohoo!

It is best to label your food, otherwise (like me) you will have a freezer full of mystery dishes. Which, can be fun, but lets be honest: there is enough uncertainty in our lives in general. Dinner doesn't have to be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment