Wednesday, October 17, 2012

CHALLENGE: CUPBOARD COOKING

NEW CHALLENGE: use up all the crap in my kitchen cupboards. No more buying the following items for the foreseeable future: jam, Dijon, tuna, canned salmon, cereal, rice, pasta (of ALL types), nuts, seeds, grains, nut butters, organic kd, hemp bars, coconut milk, dried fruit, olive oil, hot sauce, vinegars (all types) and chocolate.

Except for Lindt Fleur de Sel Chocolate (because we really need it) and anything else that looks new, interesting or good.

Seriously though, I had so much CRAP in my cupboards. There was stuff almost as old as my oldest child. There was stuff that expired 5 years ago. FIVE YEARS!!!!

I feel sinful for having wasted all that food. Wasting food really pisses me off and makes me feel seriously guilty. Hence this challenge. And I challenge YOU all to do the same!

My new challenge is to USE UP all the stuff still remaining in said cupboard.


And this is just ONE of the cupboards I cleaned out today. You don't want to KNOW what it looked like before. It was pure chaos. there are still 2 more big ones to do. I love how organized it looks now. I can actually SEE everything!

DISH IDEAS BASED ON THE CURRENT CUPBOARD SITUATION:
- freezer brownies (always yummy, and raw so it is a super healthy guilt free dessert)
- quinoa burgers
- quinoa muffins
- quinoa salad (do you get the idea I have a lot of quinoa?)
- hummus from scratch
- crafty cooking kits with the monsters (thank you Elena of Me Myself and Us)
- raw crackers in the dehydrator
- lots and lots of pasta and/or rice dishes with different sauces (using, but not limited to: EVOO, dijon, olives, balsamic vinegar, pine nuts, pepitas, salmon, tuna, pecans,tomato sauce, tomato paste, clams, coconut milk, coconut oil, dijon and hot sauce. Did I mention dijon?) Seriously, there must be 2382216554 different types of pasta and 9878937483 different types of rice in my pantry.
- general nut/seed snacking (we have pecan, sunflower, 2 kinds of almond, 3 kinds of pistachio, walnuts, pepitas, pine, sunflower and about 39884403 other types too)
- oatmeal. We have oat groat, steel cut oats, instant oats, flavoured oatmeal packets, and the partically cooked kind. I guess we will be making oatmeal pancakes this weekend, which will make the monsters happy. And probably some more oatmeal chocolate chip raisin cookies for those suffering from the dreaded "man cold". Apparantly, there is a lot of it going around. So if you suffer like this:
You might just qualify for cookies.

Tomorrow (or sometime in the freaking forseeable future) I will get to those two other cupboards that are mocking me as I type.

I am absolutely dreading it.



4 comments:

  1. I try to do something like this every six months. I usually do it for a few weeks and get a lot of old stuff out but then along comes some craft show or food show and things show up. What about some type of rice pudding/quinoa pudding thing? Sounds like you got a lot of things for bircher style muesli or granola. A lot of staples. I have a package of black garlic that I still haven't finished...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Its amazing how much I buy without realizing I still have lots at home. Costco and supermarkets bamboozle my senses.
      Quinoa pudding is definitely an idea. Will give it a try!
      What have you used black garlic on? I have some here, and have been saving it for something special, but haven't come to any conclusions yet.

      Delete
  2. Lots of quinoa! Will you come do my cupboard as well???

    ReplyDelete