Thursday, November 22, 2012

Goaty Goodness. Maybe.

Last week I had some friends over for dinner, and for that dinner, I put out a cheese spread. One of those cheeses was a fig goat chevre. I love it. One of my guests tasted it, and said it reminded him of cheesecake. WELL!



Now if you recall from earlier posts, I talked about how my husband can't eat cow dairy, but goat cheese is ok. So I set about making a goat cheese cheesecake that could be eaten by a dairy free, low-to-no wheat dude, and hopefully enjoyed by those of us who CAN eat all the cheesy, creamy goodness.

For starters, you need lots of fig goat cheese. I used three.



At this point in a regular cheesecake, you add eggs and sugar. So I did. I added a handful of sugar and 1 egg, and realized that was the last egg.

What to do, what to do. I could tell immediately that one egg just wouldn't cut it. It definitely needed more. So I ran out the door to get more eggs. Once I had them, I added 2 more, a wodge of vanilla and whipped it up until it seemed light and fluffy and creamy.

Pre 2nd and 3rd egg addition:


I forgot to take a picture after the egg addition. Oh well. I tasted it at this point, and found it a bit too sweet, so I added a blob of plain chevre to balance it out. Next time, I would simply not add the sugar.

Last week I made a sour cream coffee cake that came out wonderfully. The topping really made that cake. It was basically a buttery pecan sugary crubmle, and I thought it could be adapted to a crust. I ground up in my vita-mix a bunch of pecans, added a bit of brown sugar (for more flavor) and added some spelt flour.



In a pot, I melted a stick of vegan butter.


Unfortunately, I melted too much, and wound up with a bit of a soggy mess once I mixed it all together. This is what happens when you don't measure.


Drastic action was called for. That meant adding spelt flour until it was no longer a soggy mess.


So once the crust mixture was dry enough, I pressed it into a pie tin, and put it in the fridge for 20 minutes to chill. I then poured in the cheese mixter, fixed it into a bain marie in a 350 oven and set it to bake for about 50 minutes.


Results were mixed. My hubby, who the cheesecake was intended for, loved it. He ate 2 slices. My sister found it tasted "goaty" and wasn't terribly impressed.


She loved the crust though. At least, she said she did. It is possible she lied, to spare my feeling. I don't know. She just couldn't get past the goat cheese. She is not a goat cheese lover, as I am.

In the end, we all decided it could be improved by adding a whizzed mango into the raw egg/cheese/vanilla mixture, to help temper the goaty flavour. So all in all, mixed results, however I maintain it was a good idea.





No comments:

Post a Comment