Monday, November 5, 2012

Cramming Spinach Into Your Kid

Easiest way I know how to cram spinach into my kids is to throw it into the blender. My kids eat salad, but since the oldest has braces, he claims it gets "stuck in his teeth". Real or not, he still needs his greens.

I have a vita mix blender which I positively adore (shameless plug). It simply is the best blender I have ever used.

Throw in tons of spinach, so the blender is at least half way full. Add in a frozen banana (more about frozen fruit shortly), some apples, pears, berries, whatever. Just about any kind of fruit (minus the seeds) will do.



To today's blend, I added: 2 pears, 1 apples, grapes, blueberries, a frozen banana, about a cup of water and a partridge in a pear tree.
(note: tree not pictured)




Whizz it all together and voila. Salad shake that tastes like fruit, yet has more salad in it than you probably eat in a sitting. If your kid objects to the green color, just add a whack load of frozen blueberries and rewhizz. That will turn it fairly purple.

My kids don't care if its purple. They know its a salad drink, and are used to it.



Another added benefit of this is you never have to let fruit spoil. Just chop it up, seed it, and throw it in the freezer for the next whizzing.

Still, the best part is the taste. It is totally yummers, so the kids have NO EXCUSES.

With the salad drink, I made a normal salad for Alan and myself. Dinner isn't complete without lots and lots of salad. Yum. It included my favorite radishes, watermelon radishes.



Aren't they GORGEOUS? My farmer friend Mike Lanigan grows them and they are absolutely delicious.

I also seared a stunning hunk of tuna, much like I did a few weeks ago.

The trick with tuna is to get a big ass slab, nice and thick. You do NOT want to overcook it. You may as well just open a can if you do that. I marinate in a ziplock bag, and in it i put:

- miso paste
- rice vinegar
- garlic
- ginger
- a little bit of toasted sesame oil
- a teaspoon of sugar for balance
- a good wodge of hot sauce

Thats about it. Marinate it for about an hour and sear it on the hottest grill you can fire, and only for 2 minutes a side, when it is big ass thick. Let it sit for a moment off the grill, and then slice it thinly.
YaHUM.

1 comment:

  1. Wot has two thumbs and an overly expressive love for this woman's cooking?

    O]-< ALAN. Thats wot!

    As an unbiased reader and personal taster to the Chef, I can say with confidence, this was Dani's best fishdish yet.

    I this moment forth dub this fishdish in the name of "Sir Tuna" (The seared Tuna). Because any meal this good, demands respect.

    ReplyDelete